Friday, May 6, 2011

1896 Outfit for the Chula Vista Historic Homes Tour

I started with this blouse that I found at Goodwill for a couple of dollars.  I love the details on the front of the blouse with all the pintucks, the cuffs and 6 shell buttons and matching buttons down the front. 
To make it period, I folded down the pointed collar on the inside and sewed it in place.  For inspiration, I looked through several books on my shelves, especially this one:"Harper's Bazaar, Victorian Fashions & costumes from 1867 - 1898" by Stella Blum.  I added narrow lace to the pintucks to soften the effect.  Added bouffant upper sleeves  and edged the bottom of the seam with white cotton lace.  I applied lace in the inside of the cuffs and edged the outside with the same cotton lace as the upper sleeves.  Small note:  the same cotton lace, but in black adorns the bottom of the skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment